One piece of a larger puzzle
This post is one of our 10-part series delivering you dozens of brand activation ideas - no assembly required. If you're looking for event tech inspiration, sign up today to get the other 9 parts right to your inbox.
Like our live events, another common scenario is on-street or in-store digital activations for consumer brands. These are physical experiences where the goal is to get the product into customers' hands and build trust, often within a physical retail environment.
Idea #1 - Sampling
The bread and butter of on-street brand activations are sampling experiences. On their own, these don't qualify as activations, but they're great opportunities to get the customer engaged, usually via a touch-screen TV or tablet for the brand ambassador or customer to interact with.
There are many twists on sampling:
- Taste tests: Have a customer taste a series of products and choose their product. Or see if a customer can guess a certain product vs another in a blind test.
- Play to sample: Provide a multi-choice quiz, a competitive quiz between friends or a quick time-waster for customers to play before receiving a sample.
- Share to sample: Ask the customer to post on social media with a tag. Once they've shared, reward them with a sample.
- Vending machines: Automate the experience with vending machines that automatically deliver samples when the activation is complete.
Idea #2 - QR-code coupons
Why not open up the experience using a QR code coupon activation? You can roll this one out remotely, either in physical spaces (think public transport, on-street advertising, in-store) or digitally, via social media. Users scan a branded QR code and are whisked to an online landing page. Here they can fill in their information, play a game, or answer a quiz question. They receive their unique digital coupon that can be saved and later redeemed in-store.
Idea #3 - Spin the wheel
Everyone loves a giveaway. And what better way to do it than with a shiny, animated spinning wheel, just like at a casino or on a game show. This is a tried, true, and tested mechanic that goes back decades. You can place it in-store, or on a large TV or projector. There are many ways to make use of this activation.
- Give a away different products depending on where the arrow lands on the wheel
- Eliminate options on the wheel as more users take part, leaving the most valuable prizes until the end.
- Setup a number of on-site challenges that participants must perform in order to receive a sample or prize.
- Turn participants against each other by introducing forfeits instead of challenges.
- Bring the experience fully online and let people compete for prizes or coupons.
- Boost e-commerce sales by offering additional prizes or discounts at checkout
- Turn the event on its head and add trivia questions to the wheel.
The options are endless
Idea #4 - In-person interactions
When you have a physical space available, a simple but rewarding activation is adding an interesting real world effect when action is taken via a trigger.
- Turn the Christmas tree lights on when someone scans a QR code
- Give someone a sample when they click a button (see the sampling idea above)
- Show incoming SMS or social media posts on an LED scroller.
This “when this happens do that” is a common theme for many different activations. Tomorrow we’re going to expand on this by discussing some of the types of triggers you can use at physical activations.
Looking for more?
This post is part of our exclusive brand activation ideas email series where we share dozens of ready-to-go home-run ideas for experiential marketers like yourself.